Additional Considerations

Step 3 Continued: Additional Considerations


Detached ADUs can have a separate domestic water service and meter. 

A separate water service and meter have more upfront costs for an encroachment permit, water line tap, new meter, and development fees. Detached ADUs can also tie into the existing domestic water line that serves the primary residence. 

Attached ADUs must tie into existing domestic water line that serves the primary residence.

Sub-metering for ADUs may be possible if the ADU is used as a long-term rental and should be discussed with the Department of Utilities. Contact the Department of Utilities for more information on City water services below.

If your water provider is not the City of Sacramento, you will need to contact that agency for specific water connection requirements. You can find your water provider online here.


In urban areas such as the City of Sacramento, stormwater from precipitation flows over impervious surfaces like paved streets, parking lots, and building rooftops, and does not soak into the ground. Stormwater also flushes toxic pollutants on these impervious surfaces into rivers and streams that flow to the ocean, affecting the ecosystem. In order to reduce stormwater runoff and its effects on the environment, governmental agencies have established rules for regulating new development.

How this applies to your ADU:

If the net increase in impervious area of your ADU is more than 500 square feet, then stormwater mitigation in the form of onsite detention is required.

Contact the Department of Utilities for more information on the City's stormwater requirements:


Within the City, there are two sewer providers: The City of Sacramento or Sacramento Area Sewer District (SASD).

The City of Sacramento sewer billing will be combined with the primary residence.

    Sacramento Area Sewer District >>

    City of Sacramento Department of Utilities >>


Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD)

The electric provider for the Sacramento region is the Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD). SMUD offers a step-by-step guide for new power connections, which can be found online here:

SMUD also created an Accessory Dwelling Unit handout that provides useful information on ADUs and electrical service. This handout can be downloaded here:

It is highly advised that you coordinate with SMUD early in the planning stages to verify any constraints that may dictate the site planning and layout.

Step 4: Costs

You're ready to move to Step 4! Follow the link below to learn more.